Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

I need to size a beam in my basement so I can remove the…

Customer Question
I need to size...

I need to size a beam in my basement so I can remove the lally columns and make the space clear span. It is 24 feet wide and I want to support 20 foot of clear span. The house is two stories with a hip roof

Tutor's Assistant: OK. Is there anything else the Structural Engineer should be aware of?

We live in Southern New Hampashire

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Structural Engineering
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/5/2017
Structural Engineer: StructuralEng, Consultant replied 7 months ago
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Hello. I can help.
Will this support both floors and the attic?What is the joist length on each side of the beam?
It is just the floor above. The room directly over this area is wide open with no load bearing interior walls The joist length is 12 feet.
Thank you. Will it support any ceramic tile?
No it is a hardwood floor on top of 3/4 plywood
You can plan for a 7" x 14" 2.0E LVL

Hello. Do you have any other questions for me on this topic? If you could rate my answer, I would appreciate it.