Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

My mom's 1960 brick hip roof house was built with only

Customer Question
Second opinion] My mom's...

Second opinion] My mom's 1960 brick hip roof house was built with only perimeter pier and beam supports and one center beam support with piers ever 6 feet. No other supports under any walls, interior door frames...nowhere. contractor started work after crawling under the house and writing a order for 6500. now contractor has ripped the floor open on top of that center beam the entire length of the house. Three feet wide. Now after starting work with the floor completely open, decides he needs a change order for a total of 7000 more because he didn't know that there were no supports under the house. I don't even know what needs to be done and I live in such a rural area that another qualified contractor is 2 hours away. I have no idea if either of his orders are valid now. But he has the whole floor open and I feel like I don't have any option but to let him over double his cost. I am not an engineer and he isn't either. I'm afraid I don't completely understand what needs to be done so I can't hold him accountable if he is actually scamming my mom.

Tutor's Assistant: OK. Is there anything else important you think the Structural Engineer should know?

The floors have terrible sag and it is very evident that work needs to be done to support the load.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Structural Engineering
12/2/2017
Structural Engineer: walkereng, Consultant replied 4 months ago
walkereng
walkereng, Consultant

I can help

Can you share copies of his original scope of work and the change order scope of work?

Can you share any pictures with me?

There is a button on the Chat Window that allows you to attach files.

Let me know when you come back online

Thank you so much for engaging this question. I have all of the things you listed and will attach now.
walkereng
walkereng
walkereng, Consultant