Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

Size steel beam. Span is 23' 6" carrying 2nd floor bedrooms.

Customer Question
Size steel beam Tutor's...

Size steel beam

Tutor's Assistant: OK. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.

Span is 23' 6" carrying 2nd floor bedrooms

Tutor's Assistant: Is there anything else the Structural Engineer should be aware of?

Carrying 16 feet of floor

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Structural Engineering
11/28/2017
Structural Engineer: StructuralEng, Consultant replied 6 months ago
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Hello
Does it also support an attic?
still waiting
You can plan for a W14x34 beam ASTM A992 Gr. 50. You will need to detail the joists to brace the beam against lateral torsional buckling
Ok, they had a W12x30 there but i wanted to make sure
That would be ok if supporting 8' of tributary width, not 16'