Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

Need the size of header needed for 16' span non bearing

Customer Question
Need the size of...

Need the size of header needed for 16' span non bearing garage door header installed in gable side of the house. please help

Tutor's Assistant: OK. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.

The garage door opening is 16' wide x 7' high. we are installing 3, 2x10 with 1/2" plywood sandwiched and bolted with 1/2" bolts @16"oc staggered. is this sufficient?? this is in gable side of the garage, and therefore none bearing...

Tutor's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Structural Engineer should know?

The only thing may help is that the ceiling beams also parallel to the header and not on the header..

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Structural Engineering
11/27/2017
Structural Engineer: walkereng, Consultant replied 6 months ago
walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Can I get back with you later this evening?
I appreciate it very much.
George

Sorry for the delay.

I’d like to point out that a Professional Engineer’s standard of care typically includes a site visit to assess field conditions and get an overall understanding of the structure. This can obviously not be accomplished through the internet. The information provided here is meant for planning purposes only (general sizing and budgeting) and is based on the information provided by you. All loading cases considered are for vertical loads only, no lateral analysis has been completed. The information should be verified by a professional engineer who can visit the site to ensure that potentially important information has not been overlooked or omitted.

I assumed a triple Douglas Fir (#2 grade) beam with two 1/2" thick pieces of plywood sandwiched in between.

For a 16' clear span gable end that does not carry roof rafter loads, you will be fine.

If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, please click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each adequately Rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks