Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

I'm building a bridge crane with posts on 27' centers on…

Customer Question
Hi. I'm building a...

Hi. I'm building a bridge crane with posts on 27' centers on both sides of runway. I'm looking at using 21" x 101lb beams for runway with 2-1/2" square solid bar on top for end truck wheels. Looking at 20 ton bridge capacity. End truck wheels on 11'2" centers with double girder beams, top running hoist. Bridge span about 50'. Bridge beams 24" x 104lb with 15" channel cap (is this overkill?).

Tutor's Assistant: OK. Is there anything else important you think the Structural Engineer should know?

Question is whether the 21" x 101lb runway beams ok without a channel cap on the 27' centers? Thank you, Rick

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Structural Engineering
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/25/2017
Structural Engineer: StructuralEng, Consultant replied 8 months ago
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Hello. I can help.
Do you want me to look at one element of that system or the entire system?
Mainly the runway beam capacity given the weight of the bridge. Two bridge beams 60' long at 24" x 104lb plus 15" x 33.9lb channel caps. Top running hoist weighs 6,000 lbs. end trucks weigh 2,000 lbs each. Plus hoist lift capacity of 15 tons.
Runway beams are spread about 45' apart. Bridge beams will overhang end trucks about 7.5' on both ends. Hoist can retract hook up high enough to travel over top of runway beams and reach lifts on outside of runway beams. So potential cantilevered load outside and over top of either runway beam. Post supports not available at full 60' span that is needed to cover work site.
I forgot to add 1633 lbs, the weight of 120' of 2" x 2" square solid bar ( the trolley rails) to the bridge weight.
The maximum cantilever distance the hoist hook would be outside of either runway beam would be 6'.
I didn't hear back from you yesterday so I hope to hear from you on Monday.
Thank you for tackling this challenging question about the runway beam capacity.
Hi I'm just wondering what the status is regarding an answer to my question?
Do you intend to respond?
Thank you