Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

On the other side of one wall of our 12x16 is an attached…

Customer Question
On the other side of...
On the other side of one wall of our 12x16 is an attached 6x10 storage area. Without opening the entire connecting wall is it possible to cut an opening in the wall to allow for AC/heat airflow into the area? One vent in the middle of the bedroom ceilinv. If so, how large an opening? Thanks..
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Structural Engineering
11/24/2017
Structural Engineer: walkereng, Consultant replied 8 months ago
walkereng
walkereng, Consultant

Do you have any pictures you can share with me?

There is a button on the Chat Window that allows you to attach files.

Sorry for the delay.

I’d like to point out that a Professional Engineer’s standard of care typically includes a site visit to assess field conditions and get an overall understanding of the structure. This can obviously not be accomplished through the internet. The information provided here is meant for planning purposes only (general sizing and budgeting) and is based on the information provided by you. All loading cases considered are for vertical loads only, no lateral analysis has been completed. The information should be verified by a professional engineer who can visit the site to ensure that potentially important information has not been overlooked or omitted.

You really just need to run a heating duct into the 6x10 storage area.

But if you cannot, I would cut my opening to stay between the stud spacing (approx. 14" wide) and 24" tall.

You do not want to cut any of your wall studs. I hope this helps.

If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, please click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each adequately Rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks

That helps. Reasonable answer.