Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

Structural Engineering

I am trying to remove a wall in my house to open up the

living room and a back...
I am trying to remove a wall in my house to open up the living room and a back room. and join them. I want to try and size a LVL beam to replace said wall. The house is 36 feet wide. The wall is on the first floor of the house, with no wall above it. It is perpendicular to the trusses of the house. I was planning on using 6x6" posts and the length of the beam is to be 14 feet.
JA: OK. Is there anything else the Structural Engineer should be aware of?
Customer: The house is in the northeast with heavy snow. It has one floor above the wall with no wall above the one to be removed
11/22/2017
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant

Hello. I can help.

Is there a second floor above it?

Do you want to clear span the 36' with this beam?

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
There is a second floor, above the wall I want to remove is an open room with no wall above it
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
The wall between the living room and bedroom 2 is the wall I want to remove

Ok. So that's about 14', correct?

Is there any ceramic tile on the second floor?

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
It’s laminate

Great. Give me a few minutes to run some numbers

You can plan for three 1.75" x 11.875" 2.0E LVL

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Great, any issues with the 6x6 posts?

No. They are fine.

StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Awesome. Thank you

No problem. I'm happy to help. Good luck with your project.

StructuralEng
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant