Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

I need to get a beam spec'. I have a drawing with all

Customer Question
dimensions etc...
I need to get a beam spec'. I have a drawing with all dimensions etc
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Structural Engineering
11/22/2017
Structural Engineer: StructuralEng, Consultant replied 7 months ago
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Hello. I can help.
Please attach the drawing and I will take a look
I'm on my phone and there is no attachment icon on the message box. I can email it or you can text me
In the first pic you can see the ridge beam I need. There will be 2x12 rafters 24" o.c. with 5/8" sheathing. Drywall and 1x4 furring strips will be attached inside. The clear span will be 16' and I have already installed footings for the vertical end support posts so there is a continuous load path. I would like to know what size glulam and what size lvl's I could use so I have multiple options.In the second pic, I need to take the back corner wall out in a bedroom so the room can expand into the addition. The existing ceiling joists run parallel so the only load is from the roof. Id like to have the beam hidden but don't think its possible due to the fact that there will now be a valley there where the addition meets the old roof.
I'm in Louisiana so snow load is not an issue but I would like it really beefy due to hurricanes and really bad t-storms with tornadoes
Do you have the proper software to figure this out at your home tonight?