Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

I have a second story unfinished room. The floor is OSB on…

Customer Question
I have a second...

I have a second story unfinished room. The floor is OSB on 2x8 oc 24”. The room is approx 12x18’. The kitchen ceiling is below. I understand I need to b careful with weight as it is not engineered as a living space.To get in the room u step down about 9”. My question is this: could I create a new floor above the existing deck by hanging joists on the huge Girders that the existing floor is tied to? There is enough room to hang New joists above the existing floor without touching the deck.

Tutor's Assistant: OK. Is there anything else important you think the Structural Engineer should know?

I guess I am asking if I can have ceiling and floor independent of each other tied to the same girders?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Structural Engineering
11/21/2017
Structural Engineer: StructuralEng, Consultant replied 8 months ago
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Hello
I can help
I would like to hang 2x8 OC 16" above the existing deck if possible.
cover it with two layers of 3/4" OSB for sound control. The walls are on the girders and will not be placing weight on the new floor.
The girders are 18" microlam on all four sides of the room
I got an email saying you had responded. But, I don't see the answer.
Am I looking in the right place for your answer?

I apologize for the technical difficulty. I posted some questions yesterday, but I see they're not here.

Are the joists spanning the 12' or 18' direction?

How big are the huge girders you're talking about?

18" deep, but how wide?

Spanning 12’ direction.At least 2” wide. I’ll have to check to b sure.On one side there are three microlam girders side by side. The other wall is same type girder but also an exterior wall.
The actual span is 11’10”

If that's the case, then I would just sister the existing 2x8 with new 2x8 and not change what is loaded

Will it handle another floor installed above the existing?
One other question. Does doubling the joist allow increased dead load?

Doubling the joists will double the capacity. It doesn't double the dead load, it only doubles the self weight of the joists, which is negligible.

Will the girders support the installation of the second floor as described?

It's impossible to say with the information provided, which is why I say that changing the load path is not a prudent thing to do.

We can go through the exercise of figuring it out, but I would need much more information and I would need to submit a premium service offer for that.

Are the weight of the joists included in the dead load?

Yes, but they make up only 1 psf of the 15 psf dead load.

How much is that?

I just stated that the joists make up about 1 psf of the 15 psf dead load

No. How much is the premium service?

Got you. I can't discuss the cost in the chat, but I can submit the offer for you to consider.

Ok

I will submit the offer for you now

If new joists and OSB is installs above the existing, what is the risk?

Going over the existing and supporting it differently.