Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

Want to double check some calculations. Sizing a lintel for…

Want to double check...

Want to double check some calculations

Tutor's Assistant: OK. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.

Sizing a lintel for a masonry opening and the calculations came up with a beam W8 x 13. Want to double check.

Are you there?
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
11/20/2017
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant

Hello. I can help.

What is the loading on the beam?

9 foot beam.
I have 1.24 kips full length from 0 to 9
5.3 kips from foot 1 to 3

And you're confident in that loading?

1.24 kips uniform over the 9 ft or 1.24 kips per foot?

The two windows in the lower right corner will be removed. The brick between will be removed and a lintel will be placed over the opening to support the structure above the larger opening.

I come up with W8x24

Are you using tables in AISC?

No.

Can you look at the notes I sent?

I did. You don't address deflection. ACI 530 requires a deflection limit of L/600

The W8x13 would barely work if it were continuously braced. It doesn't work for strength when you consider the actual unbraced length. Additionally, deflection is not close to working.

The first time I used L/300, which was wrong as you stated above.
Hello, are you still there?

I'm here. you need to use L/600

this would be considered completely unbraced, correct?

correct

How much deflection for a W8 x 24?

About 3/16"

What is the correct equation for deflection?

That's way too complex to write out on here.

Would you mind reviewing the second calc I sent over and tell me what I did wrong?Thanks.

I see a couple problems with your deflection equation.

1) it's not using the correct load. You had 1.242 klf in the original equation and only 0.5 klf in this one.

2) You're only accounting for the uniform load and not the higher, more concentrated load closer to one end.

the AISC tables are only for completely braced? Is that correct?

It depends what table you're using. There are tables that have the adjust moment capacity based on the unbraced length. Are you an engineer?

A long time ago....

AISC does have moment capacity tables that incorporate the unbraced length. The moment capacity of a W8x13 with an unbraced length of 10' is about 12 k-ft.

I plugged it into webstructural and W8x24 failed under lateral torsional buckling. Does that sound right? Had to go up to W8x40 to make it work.

That doesn't sound right. The moment capacity at 10' unbraced is almost 50 k-ft

Even if you're only using A36 (which isn't the correct strength), it would be almost 30 k-ft

The table I'm looking at in AISC is 3-10. W Shapes Available moment vs. unbraced length. The W8x24 line crosses the 10 line at 76.5. How am I reading this wrong?
Never mind. Looks like you are using ASD.

Correct. I was using asd, assuming your loads were service loads.

They were factored with 1.2D, 1.6L

You have to use service loads for deflection.

You can use factored loads for LRFD strength design, but you need service loads for deflection

Got ya. So are we still good with the W8x24? Now that you know I gave you factored loads?

Yes, definitely good with that for strength. The only other thing to consider is the thickness of the existing wall. That's ok for a 8" wall, but any thicker and you'll want a wider base for the block.

Yeah, figured a 5/16 plate - 12" wide.

If you have 12" block, I would consider going with two W8x13 or two W8x15 side by side with the 12" plate on top. Just for some added stability. No more weight really, but better performance.

3 wythes of brick. Face brick on the outside and two wythes of common brick. Wanted the beam to be 4" wide so the two outside wythes would be uninterrupted.

I'll leave those detailing considerations to you. But the W8x24 does work for the numbers you have.

Good luck with your project.

StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant