Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

I don’t have a structural eng. in my immediate area. I am…

Customer Question
I don’t have a structural...
I don’t have a structural eng. in my immediate area. I am wanting to replace a 14 foot section of wall with a beam. The wall is center wall of first floor and sits squarely above the center girder of the foundation. The space above is bedroom on one side and hallway/ bathroom on other side. There is a second floor center wall, but I have determined this to be non loadbearing and that the room trusses are spanning, as my bedroom runs 16 of the 22feet with no center wall and is 12 foot wide. Illinois is where it is located so, moderate snow is a factor.
I want to use LVL beams. I need to know how many ply (boards) and how wide (inches) must my beam be.
Thanks
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Structural Engineering
Roof trusses, not room trusses. Sorry.
11/19/2017
Structural Engineer: StructuralEng, Consultant replied 8 months ago
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Hello. I can help.
Do you need additional details?
I apologized but my span is actually just over 12 foot, planning on buying 14 foot boards... that was an error on my part. My calculations suggest that 4 18” 1 3/4 LVL should be sufficient. Would you agree?

So this will support the second floor only?

What is the joist length on each side of the beam?

Will it support any ceramic tile?

Yeah, second floor directly above. Obviously roof above that, but again I believe that to be full spanning truss. No ceramic tile, bamboo hardwood above.
11 foot joist length on each side, House 22 foot total

You can use a much smaller beam than that.

You can plan for three 1.75" x 11.25" 2.0E LVL

What would constitute sufficient posts? (Size and material) and I assume I can connect them directly to the girder and bolt them to the rest of the wall structure?

4x4 doug-fir no. 2.

Wow, that’s it? Thanks!

No problem. I'm happy to help. Good luck with your project.

Follow up...Update: Working with my wife last night to put final point to the project and span expanded to 13’2”.Is there any issue if I decide to side load the LVL instead of top load it? And if not, is there a specific type of joist hanger I need to carry the floor weight?
Structural Engineer: StructuralEng, Consultant replied 7 months ago
I would add a fourth LVL for the increased span. And a 4x6 post.
No issue with joist hangers into the side. Use a Simpson LUShanger to match the joist depth.