Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

Structural Engineering

I have a about a 16 foot span from top of 8" thick concrete…

I have a about a...
I have a about a 16 foot span from top of 8" thick concrete wall to top of concrete wall under a floor. I am setting a 800 pound 'aga oven' (english cast iron water jacket oven) in the center of the span. See attached spec sheet.I expect I require two steel beems to go under it as the existing spruce wood joists (sitting on the existing 8" concrete wall, are spaced at 24" on center and are a full 2" thick and a full 8" deep, but I doubt they meet the requirements to support the oven. [The house was built in 1928, hence the 24" o/c joist etc]See attached floor plan with location of AGA marked in red.Q 1: What size steel H-beams do I require to support this oven?
Q 2: The building inspector I suspect is going to want a engineer's stamp on any spec'd beam(s). Is that something you can supply as well?
11/19/2017
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant

Hello. I can help.

thx i'll wait for your recommendation. thx again.
thx no need to talk on telephone. i hope it is a straightforward design problem. i'm about to go to bed anyway....

I can size the beams for you as this question. I can't stamp anything through this website, but I can provide detailed calculations as a premium service, if you need them.

ok i'll take detailed calc, the inspector may accept that in due course. thx

Let me submit the premium service offer for that.

StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant

Thank you for accepting the offer. I will submit the calculations within the next hour

https://www.mediafire.com/file/eop61s12ga1wgvp/Beam%20Design%20-%20for%20oven.pdf

thx. will review in morning. but i expext it to be fines. thx again

No problem. I'm happy to help. good luck with your project.

StructuralEng
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant