Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

Have an 18 ft. span, exterior wall need to support the

Customer Question
Have an 18 ft...

Have an 18 ft. span, exterior wall need to support the second floor and roof load, what size laminated beam do I use?

Tutor's Assistant: OK. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.

Like to remove the exterior wall leading in to an enclosed porch expanding the living room area

Tutor's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Structural Engineer should know?

House is of balloon construction built around 1910ish

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Structural Engineering
do you have any idea when I could expect and answer?
Answered in 1 day by:
11/20/2017
Structural Engineer: walkereng, Consultant replied 8 months ago
walkereng
walkereng, Consultant

Can you take a look at the following link and answer the questions at the bottom of the sheet? Your answers will allow me to accurately model the loading and size your beam. Thanks

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B3LjUB_rxIbcNVlreGljdFZUZ3kxTHhvVDFnRV9uQQ

house not mine but my daughters, she will gather the information needed, get back to me at which time I will forward.thx

Great, some pictures would be great if she has some.

There is a button on the Chat Window that allows you attach files.

will do and thanks
Structural Engineer: walkereng, Consultant replied 7 months ago

Let me know when you come back online

Home is a semi-detached, please see enclosed below
I have already been charged the $46 fee awaiting your answer. thx

Sorry for the delay.

1. So from your sketch, you would like to open up 18' of the wall on the left side of the drawing?

2. Just below the 2x8 floor joists?

3. Is this a wood framed wall on the left side?

Let me know when you come back online

need to open front of home not side having problem attaching scan to document not sure if you can open????

I am leaving my office right now and will take a look at your attachment when I get home this evening. Talk to you a bit later.

Thx

From my sketch, would your proposed beam be in the New Beam #4 position?

Sorry for delayed response, work rather demanding, in your sketch would be beam #4 however, not side of home but front, we need only to support front wall of house along with roof load only. No load from second floor if you can reference my last sketch. if unclear let me know, till what time can I call you tomorrow 12/7. need this resolved shortly to move forward with renovation of first floor
can you call me using the above number tomorrow 12/9 any time
would really appreciate a call to resolve this question I can be reached at(###) ###-####(preferred) or the above listed numberthx
Ken
requested a call a week ago. Not yet received would appreciate it if you were to refund the $34.00 for this service not received.thx