Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

A friend of mine has a 200 year old farmhouse with an

Customer Question
A friend of mine...

A friend of mine has a 200 year old farmhouse with an attached and closed concrete slab porch. I have no idea how all the porches is. It is a block porch with a food Cellar underneath. The slab is approximately 4 inches thick and the dimensions of the porch is 30 ft long and 7 foot 4 in wide. The steel i-beams that were used rest on the Sandstone from the original farmhouse to the outside block wall. I can see the bottom of the I beams when I'm in the cellar. Part of the supporting wall on the Block side lost its integrity which is causing the slab to crack. I know I have to support that and my plan was to use 32 x 8 as headers with Jack posts and support. I have my calculations for my distance of the Jack post but I have no idea the dead load of the porch. I believe that poured concrete is approximately 50 pounds per square foot if it's 4 inches deep. My question is; the bottom of the steel I beams that is exposed is approximately two and a half to 3 inches wide I have no idea how long the web is. The bottom of the steel i-beams are rusted two of them to a point where the Integrity is suspect. The steel I beams are set approximately 4 feet on Center. So, now the question, do I need to worry about the Integrity of the i-beams just because the bottom part is Rusted and can I span the 88 in underneath each eye beam with another small, short webbed I-beam ? I have no idea of the live load. She has freezers washers and dryers and food cabinets along with three hundred pound dogs. 80% of that weight is against The Farmhouse the dogs and some shelving on the outside block wall support. Again, this is a covered porch with lightweight Construction. I hope that made sense and any advice on how to support that 88 inch would be appreciated. Or if I even need to support the width. Thank you

Tutor's Assistant: OK. Is there anything else the Structural Engineer should be aware of?

The Integrity of the Sandstone Foundation of The Farmhouse seems to be in perfect condition. And I believe the Integrity of the porch is been jeopardized only on the outside block wall, but that rusted part of the bottom of the eye being concern me, do I need to be concerned?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Structural Engineering
11/17/2017
Structural Engineer: StructuralEng, Consultant replied 8 months ago
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Hello. I can help
I'm sorry, I do not see your response.
Please help me navigate to your response. Thank you