Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

I plan to construct an attic loft over a 20 x 23 raised

Customer Question
ceiling room. Current ceiling has...
I plan to construct an attic loft over a 20 x 23 raised ceiling room. Current ceiling has 9 - 2x10 ceiling joists, spans 20 feet running perpendicular to rafters. Joists are resting on 2x12 beams on both sides with a raised ceiling.1) Would like to know if the existing rafters can support a ~20 X 12 attic bed room + bath over it?
2) Can i extend the 20 feet joists by another 2 feet to gain additional area for the attic room?
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Structural Engineering
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/16/2017
Structural Engineer: StructuralEng, Consultant replied 5 months ago
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Hello
Can I get back to you in an hour?
sure. Thx
I am in the middle of something. Can we talk in an hour, or later?
Hello, Please let me know if you need any additional info. Thanks.
Sorry, my 1st question should have been
1) Would like to know if the existing 9 - 2 x 10 joists on 24" centers + another 2 x 10 joist (total 10 joists) support a ~20 X12 attic bed room + bath over it?
You would support a floor from the rafters? Not the joists?
It was my mistake. I am building the attic walls on existing ceiling joists which will be the floor to my attic. Attic walls will attach to the existing rafters on the top.
Hey, Any idea when you can get me some answers? Thanks
walkereng
walkereng
walkereng, Consultant