Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

The slab for my basement was poured a couple weeks ago.

Hello! The slab for my...
Hello! The slab for my basement was poured a couple weeks ago. Yesterday I notice a crack (vertical) at the edge of the slab. Only vertically. There is no cracking on the slab surface. See pics and please let me know your thoughts? First pic for location placement (crack in red, not my house), second pic location on my house and 3rd pic full size picture (my house). Rest of pics are close ups. Thanks!!!
image0.jpgimage0.jpgimage1.jpgimage1.jpgimage2.jpgimage2.jpgimage3.jpgimage3.jpgimage4.jpgimage4.jpgimage5.jpgimage5.jpgimage6.jpgimage6.jpgimage7.jpgimage7.jpg
11/16/2017
walkereng
walkereng, Consultant

Let me take a look, hold on.

I have to say that the contractor did a very poor finishing job on the slab.

From the side view, it looks like the contractor came in after the original concrete pour and tried to patch a potential low spot or area they ran a bit short on concrete.

Do you know if this area was rough like this right after the concrete pour?

Thank u. Yes, that's a patch because they turned the wall and had to cut it to fit a boat door.
He told me he would polish the patch because it is rough now

OK

I do not see any issues with that crack. It will not structurally effect your slab performance.

If he can clean up the look, you should be fine.

If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, please click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each adequately Rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks

walkereng
walkereng, Consultant

Good Luck with your project!