Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

Question about applying 1/2" osb over perfectly good

Customer Question
Question about applying 1/2"...

Question about applying 1/2" osb over perfectly good exterior 4x8 sheets of 1977 smooth siding. Should I remove old and install new 1/2" osb to accept new 8" lap siding. Seems crazy to remove old if we are covering with new 8" siding? And should we use tyvek?

Tutor's Assistant: OK. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.

Really? I just did.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Structural Engineering
11/16/2017
Structural Engineer: StructuralEng, Consultant replied 8 months ago
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Hello. I can help
What is the purpose of the new OSB?
Good Morning
Really, there is no need to replace with osb. We will be replacing any damaged 4x8 sheets of siding and then overlaying with tyvek and then the 8" lap.