Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

Structural Engineering

What size beam do I need to span 23’ to hold 10’ floor

Customer Question
joists? I have limited access...
what size beam do I need to span 23’ to hold 10’ floor joists? I have limited access to the property so I need use 2x lumber to build the beams
JA: OK. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: its in the basement of a barn that has been converted into a residence. We want to finish a 23’ wide part of the barn with a floor
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Structural Engineer should know?
Customer: it would be 40 psf living space, the under side of the floor needs to be open, so the beam to hold the joists must span 23’. The beam has to be made from 2 x lumber, most likely #2
Submitted: 26 days ago.Category: Structural Engineering
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/16/2017
Structural Engineer: walkereng, Consultant replied 26 days ago
walkereng
walkereng, Consultant

Can you take a look at the following link and answer the questions at the bottom of the sheet? Your answers will allow me to accurately model the loading and size your beam. Thanks

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B3LjUB_rxIbcNVlreGljdFZUZ3kxTHhvVDFnRV9uQQ

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
New beam #1.
Joist span 1 - 10’
Joist span 2 - 10’
The joists will sit on new beam #1 and a new interior wall.
This floor will be built inside a barn. It will not support exterior walls or a roof.
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
It will not have a second floor built on it
Structural Engineer: walkereng, Consultant replied 24 days ago

Sorry for the delay, I am working on your question right now.

I’d like to point out that a Professional Engineer’s standard of care typically includes a site visit to assess field conditions and get an overall understanding of the structure. This can obviously not be accomplished through the internet. The information provided here is meant for planning purposes only (general sizing and budgeting) and is based on the information provided by you. All loading cases considered are for vertical loads only, no lateral analysis has been completed. The information should be verified by a professional engineer who can visit the site to ensure that potentially important information has not been overlooked or omitted.

There is not a 2x conventional lumber option to clear span 23'

I can give you a couple engineered wood options for your 23’ clear span beam:

TRIPLE 1-3/4” x 16” Versa-Lam 2.0 2800 DF

QUADRUPLE 1-3/4” x 14” Versa-Lam 2.0 2800 DF

These are Boise Cascade products and you can go to the following link to find distributors in your area.

https://www.bc.com/locations/

You will need to have a local engineer detail your connections, size your support columns, and determine foundation requirements.

If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each adequately Rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks

walkereng
walkereng
walkereng, Consultant