Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

We would like to know how much weight we need to support…

We would like to...

We would like to know how much weight we need to support with a new 8 ft beam in our two story home. We live in minnesota so we do need to plan for the weight of snow

Tutor's Assistant: OK. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.

Awesome. We are opening the wall on our main level which connect the kitchen and dining room. The wall is perpendicular to the joists

Tutor's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Structural Engineer should know?

Our attic is finished but I am not sure if that affects the weight

Answered in 1 hour by:
11/15/2017
walkereng
walkereng, Consultant

Can you take a look at the following link and answer the questions at the bottom of the sheet? Your answers will allow me to accurately model the loading and size your beam. Thanks

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B3LjUB_rxIbcNVlreGljdFZUZ3kxTHhvVDFnRV9uQQ

1. #2, span of the beam is 8 ft
2. Joist 1 = 156 inches, Joist 2 = 124 inches
3. Roof loads are transferred to interior of the house, no trusses as the house was built in 1905.
4. Hawley, Minnesota
5. Asphalt shingle
6. There are two stories, a finished attic space, and an unfinished basement.Thanks!

Sorry for the delay, I am working on your question right now.

I’d like to point out that a Professional Engineer’s standard of care typically includes a site visit to assess field conditions and get an overall understanding of the structure. This can obviously not be accomplished through the internet. The information provided here is meant for planning purposes only (general sizing and budgeting) and is based on the information provided by you. All loading cases considered are for vertical loads only, no lateral analysis has been completed. The information should be verified by a professional engineer who can visit the site to ensure that potentially important information has not been overlooked or omitted.

I can give you a couple engineered wood options for your 8’ span beam:

5-1/2” x 7-1/4” King Beam 30F-E4 DF/SP

3-1/2” x 9-1/4” Versa-Lam 2.0 3100 SP

These are Boise Cascade products and you can go to the following link to find distributors in your area.

https://www.bc.com/locations/

You will need to have a local engineer detail your connections, size your support columns, and determine foundation requirements.

If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each adequately Rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks

Is it possible to get a required weight rating so we can shop around at big box stores like Home Depot which also sell LAM beams?

The Home Depot site has a few VersLam studs and a few column. They do not carry the sizes and strengths I specified. You will follow the link I gave you above to find a distributor near you.

Thank you

walkereng
walkereng, Consultant