Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

I am designing a 25' wide x 27' deep garage with a second…

I am designing a 25'...
I am designing a 25' wide x 27' deep garage with a second story bedroom above. There will be an integral 27'-9"x 10" deep steel beam " A " at the halfway point of the 25' span width of the garage.One end the beam will be integrally framed into a header B" at the front of the building which spans over a 16' garage door symmetrically within the 2x6 framed front wall.The other end of the integral steel beam "A" will be framed into the rear 2x6 stud wall of the garage. Perpendicular integral 2x10 floor/ceiling joists @ 16" on center will hang off beam "A" with Simpson Strong tie LUS210 joist hangers. The ceiling/floor joists will carry the live and dead load of the bedroom above.The roof of the building is symmetrically peaked with a single gable and parallel 2' side soffits, and centered ridge beam. Roof load and snow load for the peaked roof will be carried by the perimeter walls of the two story building. I would like to get the design for both the door header "B" and the 10" integral steel beam "A" I would like the designation s of each beam , the critical dimensions of each beam and the method of attachment of Beam "A" and "B" to each other.
Thank you.....John Goodworth
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/14/2017
walkereng
walkereng, Consultant

I can help

Do you have a drawing or sketch you can share with me?

There is a button on the Chat Window that allows you to attach files.

Will need to do it later tonigh

no worries.

walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
I am trying to send you my drawing. it doesnt seem to be going through. I got a message from Ask saying that they sent me a new password. I dont know if that is the reason but I cant find a new password.
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Phone call session started
Still waiting for your phone conversation .Only received a pre recorded message ...Was unable to send you drawing .....Please call with a real person ASAP......Please use my description to define the question . Lets discuss ASAP !!!!
I see that you received my drawing. The garage has been modified ......lengthened from 25' to 27'. Let me know if we need to talk . ASAP!!!

Let me take a look at your drawing.

Thank you Mr, Walkering. Please give me a status as to when you will be able to assist me with this project. Can you help me today?
Mr, Walkering It has been over 48 hours since I sent a request for help to size two beams and suggest a connection method for a simple rectangular garage .second floor support. Your company said that it could take up to 24 hours. It ha now been 48 hours. I don't wish to complain but I need to at least hear something from you besides "let me take a look at your drawing" . I also agreed for us to talk by phone but you never connected with me. If you can't or don't want to size the beams at least tell me what your planned time frame is or let me find someone else Please call me or message me ASAP.

I am working on your question right now.

Great ...Thanks much...

I’d like to point out that a Professional Engineer’s standard of care typically includes a site visit to assess field conditions and get an overall understanding of the structure. This can obviously not be accomplished through the internet. The information provided here is meant for planning purposes only (general sizing and budgeting) and is based on the information provided by you. All loading cases considered are for vertical loads only, no lateral analysis has been completed. The information should be verified by a professional engineer who can visit the site to ensure that potentially important information has not been overlooked or omitted.

You can use a W8x31 (50 ksi) steel beam for your 22’ clear span beam. The beam is 8” wide and 8” deep. It weighs 31 pounds per foot of beam length.

You can use a W8x21 (50 ksi) steel beam for your 17’ clear span garage door header beam. The beam is 5.25” wide and 8.25” deep. It weighs 21 pounds per foot of beam length.

You will need to have your fabricator weld connector plates to the web of your garage door beam, so you can develop a bolted connection between the two beams.

Let me know if you have any questions

Mr,Customer Thanks so much for your work. I do have some comments that I would like you to address..
1) Per my initial description, the 22' Clear span beam is actually a 27' span. It is also desired to be a 10" beam depth rather than 8". Please therefore provide designations ,(ksi), weight, and dimensions for a stronger 10" beam to accomodate the wider clear span and deeper floor joist and joist hanger depth. Please also include the web and flange thicknesses.
2) For the 17';span, for ease of construction, please also provide similar designations for a deeper 10" beam depth
rather than 8"
3) For the bolted connector plates, can you give me the length width thickness and weld designation as well as the quantity and size of holes bolts washers and nuts for these.
With submission of these items I feel that the project will be considered complete. Thanks very much.....John Goodworth
Is it possible to get me the final information today (Friday) ??? I am getting hourly pressure from my contractor ... John Goodworth

I am working on your additional requests right now.

The width of the garage is 22', where is the 27' coming from? Is that a 27' long beam or an actual 27' clear span?

You can use a W10x39 (50 ksi) steel beam for your 27’ clear span beam. The beam is 8” wide and 9.875” deep. It weighs 39 pounds per foot of beam length. Web = 5/16", Flange = 1/2"

You can use a W10x22 (50 ksi) steel beam for your 17’ clear span garage door header beam. The beam is 5.75” wide and 10.125” deep. It weighs 22 pounds per foot of beam length. Web = 1/4", Flange = 3/8"

The design of a welded/bolted connection is far above the capabilities of this forum. You will need to have your fabricator weld connector plates to the web of your garage door beam, so you can develop a bolted connection between the two beams.

I hope this helps.

Thank you please have someone contact me about how to pay up for your good work thank you John Goodworth ***@******.***

You have already paid for my response.

Good Luck with your project!