Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

Structural Engineering

I am trying to find out how much weight (PSI) - load bearing

Customer Question
that a 4'x4'x1/2" piece of...
I am trying to find out how much weight (PSI) - load bearing that a 4'x4'x1/2" piece of plywood would hold. We use 4"x4" sheets of 3/4" normally to cover excavated holes up to 3' diameter. Someone suggested 1/2" but I don't think it will hold the OSHA required 400 lbs or 2x the weight of an individual, whichever is greater. Can you help?
JA: OK. Is there anything else the Structural Engineer should be aware of?
Customer: i don't think so
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Structural Engineering
11/13/2017
Structural Engineer: StructuralEng, Consultant replied 1 month ago
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Hello. I can help

You need to know the maximum allowable point load for a piece of plywood covering a 3' diameter circle?

Structural Engineer: StructuralEng, Consultant replied 25 days ago

Approximately 200# ***** ***** maximum allowable point load for that scenario for a structural I rated plywood

StructuralEng
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant