Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

My garage currently is a one story garage attached to a two…

Customer Question
My garage currently is a...
My garage currently is a one story garage attached to a two story house. I am going to convert my attic above my garage to living space. The trusses that are currently intalled does not allow that. What do I need to do in order to convert the existing trusses so that I can add a plywoood floor and a add some drywall to some walls and ceilings and then add a staircase to access the attic?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Structural Engineering
i have added some photos of my current layout. The overall dimensions are
32' wide
27.5' long8' 3" to first upright 2x4
then there is an angled 2x4 that comes off the top of that the goes to the center of the attic That 2x4 is 8' long
There is an 8' 2x4 that runs from center of attic floor to ceiling or roof
IMG_3255.jpgIMG_3255.jpgIMG_3253.jpgIMG_3253.jpgIMG_3252.jpgIMG_3252.jpgIMG_3251.jpgIMG_3251.jpgIMG_3248.jpgIMG_3248.jpgIMG_3254.jpgIMG_3254.jpgIMG_3247.jpgIMG_3247.jpgIMG_3249.jpgIMG_3249.jpgIMG_3250.jpgIMG_3250.jpg
11/13/2017
Structural Engineer: StructuralEng, Consultant replied 7 months ago
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Hello. I can help.
The roof and floor structure both need to be reinforced with new wood framing to act as a conventional stick framed roof, not trusses.
what would you suggest I use to reinforce the floor and roof Should I sister the current floor 2x4 with 2x8 or 10s and then the roof support how can I cut out center and 2x4 thats attached to center of attc that 45's from the floor
are you there
I'm here. The rafters (top chord) would have to be sisters with 2 x 12's. The bottom chord (joists) would have to be sister and with engineered lumber
I would have to put 2x12's sistered to the current roof rafters that go from eave to ridge?
Do I not need any supports along that 2x12 that goes down to the current floor of attic?
would i need to install a collar beam
thoughts

Correct on the rafters. You won't need a collar tie. The joists will connect to the rafters at the eave level and that will act as the tie.

putting 2x12's eat up too much space. Is there another way
I guess there are no other options
What is your city and state?
Cincinnati ohio

You could double up 2x8 rafters