Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

What I-beam size would I need for a span of 16 feet.

Customer Question
What I-beam size would...

What I-beam size would I need for a span of 16 feet

Tutor's Assistant: OK. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.

Remodeling a 24 x 16 ft. garage into a home with a new second story and a gable roof. Is it safe to build on a slab? What type of I-beams would be needed for the 2nd floor. The 2nd floor will only be 12x16 as an open loft.

Tutor's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Structural Engineer should know?

I am not sure what is needed to have a safe foundation. I am worried about the current slab. Slab is level. 1st floor built directly on slab.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Structural Engineering
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/13/2017
Structural Engineer: walkereng, Consultant replied 8 months ago
walkereng
walkereng, Consultant

Do you have any kind of rough sketch you can share with me?

There is a button on the Chat Window that allows you to attach files.