Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

Are you allowed to cut studs on the outside and install pvc…

Customer Question
Are you allowed to cut...
Are you allowed to cut studs on the outside and install pvc plumbing?? I feel cutting 2 inches into a stud is wrong?
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Structural Engineering
The plumbing will be on outside of the wall
What is the size of nail would you have to use to add vinyl siding if you already have on the wall 1/2 plywood and Masonite siding about 3/8 thick and 1/2foam then .46 vinyl. Nail size to get proper install ? And penetration ?
Safari will not let me open the file
Call me or I have to stop payment as I cannot get the answers
11/13/2017
Structural Engineer: walkereng, Consultant replied 8 months ago
walkereng
walkereng, Consultant

Nails should have at least a 3/8" diameter head, 1/8" diameter shank, and it should penetrate into the nailable base at least 3/4".

On the cutting into the studs for plumbing, are you asking if you can notch the outside of the studs to install pvc plumbing?

Here is a notching and boring guide, see below:

You will need to use Simpson Strong Tie PSPN516Z or PSPN58Z protecting shield plate nail stoppers to protect your piping from nail penetration. Below is a link to the Simpson Strong Tie page:

https://www.strongtie.com/protectandrepair_miscellaneousconnectors/ns-pspnz_productgroup_wcc/p/ns.pspnz

If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, please click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each adequately Rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks