Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

I have a condo/loft. Need to cut about 3-4 feet by 3 foot…

Customer Question
I have a condo/loft...

I have a condo/loft. Need to cut about 3-4 feet by 3 foot while through the edge of the second floor that looks over the 1st floor. The floor is concrete. I have pictures to reference.

Tutor's Assistant: OK. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.

Foot hole*

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Structural Engineering
Condo is above and in between two other condos. There are no blue prints unfortunately. It was built 1983/1984.
11/12/2017
Structural Engineer: StructuralEng, Consultant replied 5 months ago
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Hello
what do you think?
Condos located in Deerfield Beach fl. If that helps in anyway.
What kind of concrete system? Concrete on metal deck and steel beams? One way beam and slab? Two way flare plate? Post tensioned or mild reinforced?
How do I find that out? I’m just a home DIYer. So all of that terminology is foreign to me.
A home do it yourself or should not be cutting holes in the concrete floor system.
You will need to have the building management provide you with existing drawings or you will need to pay a structural engineer to come do an investigation to figure out the system
I’m not doing that myself hence seeking an engineer.
Thanks anyways. Haven’t helped much nor have you given much insight on things already known. So basically get an engineer to come by and not use this website.
With the information that you have provided, yes. No engineer anywhere can provide you guidance by telling them you have a concrete floor and you have no idea what the system is or where the columns are laid out or where beams are laid out. That's just not realistic
Thanks I’ll get better guidance elsewhere.
Alright. I opened up some walls and took down some drywall to peak through. Sorry for the attitude just hoping you can provide some better guidance in layman's terms for what to look for in order to have find a better answer. So so far;1. It’s a 32’ x 16’ slab of concrete
2. It’s about 6 1/2” thick
3. At the exposed edge or face it has a medal plate through the concrete 46” in towards the middle from both sides of the wall
4. The height from the floor to the bottom of the slab is 8’
5. The slab is sitting on concrete brick walls
6. Condo Built in 83/84
7. Majority of the roof is concrete the other half is a slanted roof with an exposed wood frame.
8. There is a unit down stairs and I’m in between two others identical units to the left and right side that are built and designed the same as mine
9. There are no blueprints of the unit. I’ve checked with the city building department.I will attach photos to reference. I’m basically looking to see if it’s safe enough to cut 21” x 36” square in the corner edge of the floor to fit two steps of a set of stairs that will be built to go across the wall.
Hope these help
04340D60-01B9-4195-8127...jpeg04340D...jpeg7AF06ED0-B5DE-45B9-BC4D...jpeg7AF06E...jpeg39BBB575-BC63-452F-9052...jpeg39BBB5...jpeg644C6085-F979-411A-AA99...jpeg644C60...jpeg840051B4-BC28-45CA-A60A...jpeg840051...jpeg
StructuralEng
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant