How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask StructuralEng Your Own Question
StructuralEng, Consultant
Category: Structural Engineering
Satisfied Customers: 7956
Experience:  Structural Engineer
Type Your Structural Engineering Question Here...
StructuralEng is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a condo/loft. Need to cut about 3-4 feet by 3 foot

Customer Question

I have a condo/loft. Need to cut about 3-4 feet by 3 foot while through the edge of the second floor that looks over the 1st floor. The floor is concrete. I have pictures to reference.
JA: OK. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: Foot hole*
JA: Is there anything else the Structural Engineer should be aware of?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Structural Engineering
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Condo is above and in between two other condos. There are no blue prints unfortunately. It was built 1983/1984.
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what do you think?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Condos located in Deerfield Beach fl. If that helps in anyway.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 1 year ago.
What kind of concrete system? Concrete on metal deck and steel beams? One way beam and slab? Two way flare plate? Post tensioned or mild reinforced?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I find that out? I’m just a home DIYer. So all of that terminology is foreign to me.
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 1 year ago.
A home do it yourself or should not be cutting holes in the concrete floor system.
You will need to have the building management provide you with existing drawings or you will need to pay a structural engineer to come do an investigation to figure out the system
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I’m not doing that myself hence seeking an engineer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks anyways. Haven’t helped much nor have you given much insight on things already known. So basically get an engineer to come by and not use this website.
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 1 year ago.
With the information that you have provided, yes. No engineer anywhere can provide you guidance by telling them you have a concrete floor and you have no idea what the system is or where the columns are laid out or where beams are laid out. That's just not realistic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks I’ll get better guidance elsewhere.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Alright. I opened up some walls and took down some drywall to peak through. Sorry for the attitude just hoping you can provide some better guidance in layman's terms for what to look for in order to have find a better answer. So so far;1. It’s a 32’ x 16’ slab of concrete
2. It’s about 6 1/2” thick
3. At the exposed edge or face it has a medal plate through the concrete 46” in towards the middle from both sides of the wall
4. The height from the floor to the bottom of the slab is 8’
5. The slab is sitting on concrete brick walls
6. Condo Built in 83/84
7. Majority of the roof is concrete the other half is a slanted roof with an exposed wood frame.
8. There is a unit down stairs and I’m in between two others identical units to the left and right side that are built and designed the same as mine
9. There are no blueprints of the unit. I’ve checked with the city building department.I will attach photos to reference. I’m basically looking to see if it’s safe enough to cut 21” x 36” square in the corner edge of the floor to fit two steps of a set of stairs that will be built to go across the wall.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.