Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

What can I expect the charge to be for a simple beam

What can I expect...

What can I expect the charge to be for a simple beam calculation for opening up a first floor wall of a two story house?

Tutor's Assistant: OK. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.

Want a 10 ft. long by 5 ft. high opening in existing interior load bearing and shear wall. Will be supported by posts at each end with corner bracing.

Tutor's Assistant: Is there anything else the Structural Engineer should be aware of?

Only that there is a second floor above this opening

10/22/2017
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Hello
Do you need the actual calculations or just the size?
Are you sure it's a sheer wall? Interior walls are not typically sheer walls. That's not always true, but far more often than not
Only need the size (solid wood beam). Can I get answers for both sheer and non-sheer?
I can give you the size for gravity only here. If it's a shearwall, it will need a lateral analysis with a frame sized to replaced the lost shear strength and stiffness. A larger beam can't do that without frame action
Ok - then just do the non-sheer (gravity) wall.
Ok. I will call in just a couple minutes
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
ok - standing by for response
Phone call session started