Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

Looking at a 100+ yo cabin, in snow country with 4x6

floor/ceiling joists wr oc with...
Looking at a 100+ yo cabin, in snow country with 4x6 floor/ceiling joists wr oc with 25 ft span. Concern?
10/19/2017
walkereng
walkereng, Consultant

1. Do you have any pictures you can share with me?

2. Your posting says "joist wr oc". I assume "wr" was supposed to be a number?

3. What is the closest city you are near, for actual snow load values?

24” oc
Twin Bridges CA
Was the picture helpful?
How about just a courtesy response that my question is being worked, and that you are not a robot?

Sorry for the delay. I am working on your question right now.

I’d like to point out that a Professional Engineer’s standard of care typically includes a site visit to assess field conditions and get an overall understanding of the structure. This can obviously not be accomplished through the internet. The information provided here is meant for planning purposes only (general sizing and budgeting) and is based on the information provided by you. All loading cases considered are for vertical loads only, no lateral analysis has been completed. The information should be verified by a professional engineer who can visit the site to ensure that potentially important information has not been overlooked or omitted.

I assumed your beams are Douglas Fir (#2 grade) and they clear span 25' and are spaced at 24" o.c.

With this configuration and just adding a standard minimum roof Live Load of 20 psf and a roof Dead Load of 10 psf, your members are at 255% of the Allowable Bending Stress and are at 522% of the Allowable Total Load Deflection.

Needless to say, they are grossly overstressed at a 25' clear span.

If you were to place a cross beam at midspan, making your roof beams have two 12.5' clear spans, you could just barely carry a Load Load of 40 psf.

Your snow load is significantly higher than that in El Dorado County:

http://edcapps.edcgov.us/building/request_snow_load.asp

If you were to place a cross beam at midspan of your floor beams, making your floor beams have two 12.5' clear spans, you could just barely carry a Load Load of 40 psf, which is the required Floor Live Load in the Building Code.

If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, please click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each adequately Rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks

walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Thank you
This is very helpful.

Good Luck with your project!