Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

I have a load bearing wall that I want to remove I want to…

Customer Question
I have a load...

I have a load bearing wall that I want to remove I want to replace it with a beam

Tutor's Assistant: OK. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.

I want to do an open concept

Tutor's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Structural Engineer should know?

The loadbearing will in in a concrete slab in the center of the home

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Structural Engineering
the beam needs to be 18" long what type of beam do i need its going up in the ceiling and joist tied with hangers to it
10/19/2017
Structural Engineer: StructuralEng, Consultant replied 6 months ago
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant

Hello. I can help

hello
i want to remove a load bearing wall its 18 long
it is on a slab in the center of the house
i want to replace it with a beam it has to hold up the second floor and atic what type of beam do i need

What is the joist length on each side of the beam?

Will it support any ceramic tile?

not at the moment
just wood floors

there is another loadbearing wall right over the loadbearing wall

14'
each side
that's the 2 joist then the wall holds them in the middle
do you think its better to talk on the phone?

We can, but it's not critical

ohh ok then i'll stay on here then

You can plan for four 1.75" x 14" 2.0E LVL. If you ever want ceramic tile, you will need to strengthen and stiffen it.

with tiles what do i need

Four 1.75" x 18" 2.0E LVL

is the four 1.75" x 18" 2.0E lvl good if I put tiles upstairs?

Correct.

StructuralEng
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant