Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

Structural Engineering

Need to design and build a flitch beam, front pouch 16' wide

Customer Question
need to design and build...
need to design and build a flitch beam
JA: OK. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: front pouch 16' wide just a simple 2x8 joist roof above. I would like to use 5" x 1/4" x 190" steel plate (2) between (3) 2x6's trimmed down to 5" high. I need to keep the height to a minimum.
JA: Is there anything else the Structural Engineer should be aware of?
Customer: the 2x8's are 12' long and 4' is resting inside the front wall back to the main LVL perpendicular nailed in. the cantilever is 3/4 outside 1/4 inside. so we built a column on one side the and want the new beam to rest on it and the other side through the new wall with 2x6's and a straddle under it.
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Structural Engineering
10/19/2017
Structural Engineer: walkereng, Consultant replied 3 months ago
walkereng
walkereng, Consultant

I can help

do you have any pictures you can share with me?

There is a button on the Chat Window that allows you to attach files.

OK, see attached file. This is the front door to the house. The 2x8's rest on the exterior wall of 2x6's also and back into the house ending at the new LVL beam. The new column is all CMU. The other side is a finished stone veneer wall. I'll be cutting through it to rest on (2) additional 2x6's which rest on the foundation wall plate. It needs to be installed on an angle. Not sure but I think the PSI should be 50? Can talk today after (if necessary) 3:30PM EST - Thanks Steve

I am a bit confused about your description.

1. Are these proposed flitch plate members going to be supported at each end? You mention something about cantilever?

2. What will the clear span be, 12' or 16'?

3. What is the spacing between each proposed roof beam?

4. What city and state do you live in for possible snow load consideration?

1. Yes it will be supported on both ends. One side by the new CMU column and the other by the 2x6 studs in the new wall.
2. The span is 16' long.
3. Joist are 16" OC
4. Holmdel NJ 07733
The cantilever are the existing over hang the rough framer installed thinks we had two columns. We only have one side column and the other side is being cut into the side wall.
Did you see the plan I attached? Can you call be today? Anytime after 10:00 EST works
Need to install this beam by Monday for inspection.
thanks
Steve

I’d like to point out that a Professional Engineer’s standard of care typically includes a site visit to assess field conditions and get an overall understanding of the structure. This can obviously not be accomplished through the internet. The information provided here is meant for planning purposes only (general sizing and budgeting) and is based on the information provided by you. All loading cases considered are for vertical loads only, no lateral analysis has been completed. The information should be verified by a professional engineer who can visit the site to ensure that potentially important information has not been overlooked or omitted.

Assumptions I have used:

1. 16' clear span roof joists spaced at 16" o.c.

2. Snow load of 25 psf and a Dead Load of 15 psf

Your proposal is to use three 2x members (cut down to a 5" depth) and sandwich two 1/4" thick by 5" deep steel plates between them and space these at 16" o.c.

This proposal will work with the following results:

You will be at approx. 47% of the allowable Bending Stress

Your Total Load Deflection will be approx. 0.60" at midspan, which is approx. 57% or the allowable deflection.

Your bolting pattern shown on the plan you attached looks fine.

You will want to make sure all holes in the wood members are pre-drilled.

If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, please click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each adequately Rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks

See attached PDF of out come, the 2x4's just are temp support during the CMU drying time.
Please let me know if this looks better
thanks
Steve
Structural Engineer: walkereng, Consultant replied 2 months ago

Those look really nice!

walkereng
walkereng
walkereng, Consultant