Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

Structural Engineering

I plan on removing a portion of a load bearing wall in my

Hi. I plan on removing...

Hi. I plan on removing a portion of a load bearing wall in my house and replacing it with steel i-beam. I need assistance in determining the beam size required and support post placement. The room span for wall removal is 20'. One side of the beam will be on an exterior wall. The home is a ranch 42'X 28' 1080sqft first level and poured concrete basement foundation. This is a ranch so only main floor and basement. The center of the main floor is currently supported by a 8" X 5.5" - 1/4" steel i-beam spanning the length of the home and two support posts spaced at 14' and 28' in the basement. Would the current basement posts set at 14' and 28' be substantial enough to support the beam above carrying load at 20' or is an additional post needed in the basement at 20'. Also, would there need to be modifications made to the exterior concrete wall to carry the additional load?

10/18/2017
walkereng
walkereng, Consultant

I can help

Can you take a look at the following link and answer the questions at the bottom of the sheet? Your answers will allow me to accurately model the loading and size your beam. Thanks

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B3LjUB_rxIbcNVlreGljdFZUZ3kxTHhvVDFnRV9uQQ

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
1. New Beam #3
2. Floor Joist Span #3 12' || floor Joist Span #4 12'
3. The ceiling joists span 24' - the center rests on loadbearing wall. tTey are not trusses
4. Iowa - there is snow
5. roofing - asphalt shingle
6,7,8. This is a 1-story house with basement

I have two more questions:

1. What city are you near in Iowa

2. Is there any storage or occupancy in the attic area?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
1. Altoona Iowa near Des Moines Iowa.
2. There is no storage or occupancy.

I’d like to point out that a Professional Engineer’s standard of care typically includes a site visit to assess field conditions and get an overall understanding of the structure. This can obviously not be accomplished through the internet. The information provided here is meant for planning purposes only (general sizing and budgeting) and is based on the information provided by you. All loading cases considered are for vertical loads only, no lateral analysis has been completed. The information should be verified by a professional engineer who can visit the site to ensure that potentially important information has not been overlooked or omitted.

You can use a W8x28 (50 ksi) steel beam for your 20’ clear span beam. The beam is 6.5” wide and 8” deep. It weighs 28 pounds per foot of beam length.

For your post, you can use a 3 in. diam. Standard Wt. Pipe A501 or A53 Grade B post.

You are going to need a 30"x30" concrete footing under the new post.

You will need to have a local engineer detail your connections.

If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, please click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each adequately Rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Are you recommending a 30"x30"x30" footing? What is the depth recommendation for the footing?

Sorry for the delay.

You should use a 30" x 30" by 18" deep concrete footing. You should place four #5 rebar (evenly spaced, 8" o.c.) in each direction, 3" up from the bottom of the footing to the underside of the lower level of rebar.

I hope this helps.

walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks for the input thus far. I do have a couple more questions pertaining to this project. First I realize a local engineer will detail my specific connections, however, how would this type of beam typically fasten above a 4x8 stick framed wall header? Is it typical to weld fastener plates that would attach to the wall or are there fasteners designed for attaching a steel beam to wood? Or is a cradle above the wall and gravity sufficient? Also is it recommended to use 6 - 2x4x8 studs to carry the beam load or would a 4x6x8 post in the wall be better? Thanks

1. This beam would generally be connected directly to the top of the column/post form below.

2. There are fasteners designed for this type of connection. Your engineer will be able to detail the specifics.

3. I always like to use solid wood posts, not built-up posts.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Customer- Thanks for all your help in answering my questions regarding the steel ibeam. Since my initial question was centered around using steel for this project, I overlooked the possibility of using anything else. Do you think it's possible to use a PSL, LVL or glulam beam for the span. I've seen wooden beams in spans up to 21' before. What wooden beam options would you propose for this project?

I can give you a couple engineered wood options for your 20’ span beam:

3-1/2” x 16” Versa-Lam 1.7 2650 SP

5-1/4” x 14” Versa-Lam 1.7 2650 SP

These are Boise Cascade products and you can go to the following link to find distributors in your area.

https://www.bc.com/locations/

Customer reply replied 9 days ago
Customer- I have another question as it pertains to the Versalam beam recommendation. Is there an option you would recommend for using multiple 1-3/4" beams - for example the 1-3/4" x 16" Versa-Lam 1.7 2650 SP - would you recommend 2 of these as an equivalent option?

I can give you another engineered wood option for your 21’ span beam:

DOUBLE 1-3/4" x 16” Versa-Lam 2.0 2800 DF

I have attached my computer run for this beam below. See page two of the file to see the bolting requirements to attach the beams together to act as a single beam.

I hope this helps.

walkereng
walkereng
walkereng, Consultant