Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

Structural Engineering

I am having a basement built and the contractors realized

Hello. I am having a...
Hello. I am having a basement built and the contractors realized the wall needs to step down, so they are making it thinner toward the ends. Well I noticed they cut the rebar coming out of the footings, which was embeddd when the footings were poured, toward the back of the house and stuck more rebar down into the footing. Is this an issue?Also, the rebar is maybe about an inch from the edge of the form... isn't this too close to the outside wall?See pic. Thanks!
10/16/2017
walkereng
walkereng, Consultant

Let me take a look at your pictures, hold on.

There needs to be a 2" to 3" clear distance between the face of the rebar and the finished concrete surface up against the soil.

It is common to pour a concrete footing and have the vertical rebar extend up approx. 18" to 24" above the top of the footing concrete. Then they will come back in and place a full height rebar next to each of the short pieces coming out of the footing. They will tie them together with wire to holed them in place until the concrete wall is poured.

I hope this helps.

It does! Thank you. I noticed the distance on some is 1.5" only... is that an issue?
Regarding the 18" to 24" piece of rebar sticking out from footings - they cut several off an then drilled a hole in the concrete and then stuck some more rebar down to be able to tie the wall rebar. Is that an issue? Basically they had to move the rebar
I went to measure and most of them are 2" apart but some are 1 "apart

1. Technically you are supposed to have the clear distance I listed above, on the side that will be against the soil. It probably is not earth shattering at 1.5", but if they could move that form back to get the concrete cover, that would be best.

2. If they did that, then they needed to drill a slightly over-sized hole into the footing, then place epoxy into the hole and then insert the new rebar into the hole. This epoxy will cure and lock the rebar into the hole. The cannot just drill a hole and shove the rebar into the hole without epoxy.

3. See my response to #1 above.

walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Thank you! Appreciate all the help!!
If one of the newly poured rebars is moving that means no epoxy was used correct?
Newly stuck rebar I mean

That is correct. An epoxied rebar will not wiggle at all.

Good luck with your project!

Thank you!!!
Sorry to bother you again, does the 2" minimum cover still apply if there is a waterproof coating apples to the concrete, and then gravel and a drain next to it before it reaches dirt? Just making sure. Thank you!!

Yes, if you have that configuration, you should be fine with the concrete cover being reduced in a few places.

Thanks

You are welcome

Hi!! I actually called a meeting with my builder and the concrete guy today and they admitted they set the house 1/2 inch off, so that's why some of the rebar is spaced only 1" from the outside face of the concrete wall.
It's only in about a 10 ft section of the left side of the house, toward the middle of the wall.
The rest are all 1.5" or 2"... using #5 rebar
They assured me having a reduced cover in a little section will not affect anything, but he did tell me he is going to bend the rebar that sticks out of the footings a little bit to the inside to get a little more cover. They seem responsible and wanting to do a good job , he said that nothing is perfect on the field. I would appreciate your thoughts. Thank u

That sounds like a plan. Thanks for the update!

Thanks!!

No Problem

Hi! Hope it's ok if I bother you again. Went by the lot just now and forms are ready and they will pour tomorrow. From looking inside the forms looks like all the rebar is about 1.5" at least, mostly 2" to 3" from edge of form. However, I did notice 2 spots where the rebar is about 1/2 an inch from touching the form, because the rebar is bent. This is about 2 ft off the floor on both spots. Do you think this could cause me issues? Thanks!

I answered on you other newer question, please check my response to that question.

walkereng
walkereng
walkereng, Consultant