Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

Im installing a new shower pan. There is a TJI Joist

Customer Question
Im installing a new...

Im installing a new shower pan. There is a TJI Joist underneath of whereby I would need to cut 7/8 into top right section of the 2 1/4" wide top of the TJI. Is this allowable? Can I put a sister 2x12 on the TJI?

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Structural Engineering
10/6/2017
Structural Engineer: StructuralEng, Consultant replied 10 months ago
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Hello. I can help
Can you sketch the cross section and shade in what you want to remove?Where among the length of the span will that occur?

Unfortunately, that is right at the worst location for removing part of the flange. Is there any chance you can get another joist in there next to it? On the other side of the hole?