Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

I want to join to structural beams together to support a…

Customer Question
I want to join...

I want to join to structural beams together to support a deck. The beams are solid larch 4" x 12" and will be joined over a 6" x 6" post. What is the strongest method of joining them?

Tutor's Assistant: OK. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.

What information would be helpful?

Tutor's Assistant: Is there anything else the Structural Engineer should be aware of?

One beam would be 8' long and the other would be 12' 10" long. The 8' beam will be supported at either end, and the 12' 10" beam will be supported at either end and at 3' 9" from one end.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Structural Engineering
10/5/2017
Structural Engineer: StructuralEng, Consultant replied 10 months ago
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Hello
I can help
Are you planning to keep the post?
what other information would be helpful?
No, let's continue.
the post can stay and will be under the joint.

Ok. Then Simpson makes connectors for this condition. It's more important to have a good connection between the beam and post than between the beams (assuming both beams rest on the post)

You can plan for a Simpson CCQ46SDS2.5

The beams and the posts will be exposed. Considering your response, would a "T" shaped flitch plate in the middle of the beam accomplish the same thing? If so, what thickness and dimensions should it be? I could drill holes in the plate, and "peg it" with 2" (?) steel pins and cover those with wood pegs that would be exposed. Also, from your response, how much of the beam needs to sit on the post? Thanks.

Can you sketch up what you mean by a T shaped flitch plate?

That would go on the outside of each face?

No, in the center of the beam and center of the post. I would form a sandwich, wood beam, steel flitch plate, wood beam.

I think that leaves problems of beam/column stability.

You think that differs from the Simpson connector even if the steel flitch or knife plate is thicker and therefore stronger? Also, how much of the beam needs to sit on the post to maintain its structural integrity? If you still don't like the knife plate, how do you feel about a half-lap joint or a tenon joint?
The Simpson connector goes on the outside faces, not cut into the center. The only way it is ok is if there is some other mechanism to brace the hinge at the beam/post bearing interface
I know it is somewhat unrelated to the connector, but please tell me how much of the beam needs to sit on the post to maintain its structural integrity? How do you feel about a half-lap joint or a tenon joint?
A minimum of 2.5" of bearing is generally required for a beam.I think the half-lap joint is not ideal. It creates a condition where one of the beams has the shear capacity significantly reduced. This is because only one of the beams ends up with the full beam depth bearing on the post