Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

I have a query for a structural engineer with domestic roof…

Customer Question
Hi. I have a...

Hi. I have a query for a structural engineer with domestic roof design experience. Is this available?

Tutor's Assistant: Do you want to talk to one of these Experts: Contractor, Structural Engineer, Real Estate Lawyer?

Structural engineer

Tutor's Assistant: OK. As the Structural Engineer's Assistant I have a few questions for you. OK. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.

Assessing an existing modern domestic roof design. staggered roof heights, steel purlin supported at one end with a timber vertical. This transfers the load to a timber spread over timber stud wall.

Tutor's Assistant: Is there anything else the Structural Engineer should be aware of?

I would consider this compromised design has been installed due to a chimney inhibiting a steel purlin to rest on both external walls

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Structural Engineering
10/4/2017
Structural Engineer: walkereng, Consultant replied 10 months ago
walkereng
walkereng, Consultant

I can try and help.

Do you have any pictures or plans you can share with me?

There is a button on the Chat Window that allows you to attach files.

Attached pictures show (i) external arrangement of the roof (ii) internal arrangement of roof structure (iii) verticals transferring load from the purlins to a 1&3/4 inch x 6 incl flat, timber, spread over stud partition wall at first floor level
External pic.jpgExterna...jpgsplit purlin pic 2.jpgsplit p...jpgsplit purlin.jpgsplit p...jpgVertical to horizontal a...jpgVertica...jpg

I did not get any pictures. Can you try again to attach them with the attach file button?

Photos should be attached now

OK, thanks for the pictures.

What is your specific question related to the pictures attached?

As you can see from the external pic this a staggered height roof. Internally, the rear of the roof is supported on a steel purlin (supported each end block to block). I am guessing the builders found that the chimney was in the way when they were supporting the front of the roof, so the steel purlin is not supported on a block wall at each end. Instead shorter purlins were installed one each supporting the differing roof heights. (cast into the blockwork on one end, then supported on timber at the other.
My concern is that the downward weight of the roof is now being transferred to the timber on flat (1 3/4 x 6 inch), which in turn is supported on stud walls. Any work below this timber to bedrooms below will need serious consideration. Am I right in saying that this is poor detail and have you any ideas on what could be done to cost-effectively make this detail more secure. (You will note that a skylight has been installed into the attic. I am concerned that it might not be suitable for conversion to habitable space)
Just wondering if you are still available?