Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

What would a W12 x 93 steel beam be comparable in a beam…

Customer Question
What would a W12...

What would a W12 x 93 steel beam be comparable in a wood beam such as LVL or PSL. ? Thanks Mike

Tutor's Assistant: OK. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.

Eng sized a W12 x 93 steel and I want to use wood. He claims there is no comparison and I believe anything is possible. So is there a large wood beam that is equally as strong as the steel one ?

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Structural Engineering
10/2/2017
Structural Engineer: walkereng, Consultant replied 10 months ago
walkereng
walkereng, Consultant

I can help.

I have a couple of questions:

1. What is this beam going to support?

2. What is the span length of this beam?

a second storey of a single family home . The span is 23 feet
Just need a comparable size of wood product beam so I can work from that

If the steel beam is sized appropriately, that is a pretty hefty beam. That beam weighs 93 pounds per foot of beam, so the steel beam will weigh almost 2,200 lbs, by itself.

Using my engineering judgement, to find an equivalent LVL or Glulam beam, you will most likely have to go with a very deep engineered lumber beam.

Do you have any depth limitations for your beam, as to not limit your headroom?

Are you sure about that beam size? There is not an AISC size of W12x93. That is a huge beam for that application. Is the last number "93" correct?

the numbers are correct W12 x 93 i know it will be a massive wood beam and room is no problem I just dont like building with steel.

Do you have any kind of plan you can share with me and I can size an engineered lumber beam for you to compare?

Let me know when you come back online

I am still here to help if you need it.