Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

Chimney inside house entirely. The red tile like bricks in…

Customer Question
Chimney inside house entirely...

Chimney inside house entirely. The red tile like bricks in center surrounded by concrete blocking in attic. Concrete blocking is separating some. Was a crack now splitting wider, about 1/4" Just two of the blocks. Afraid it will eventually break off and fall. These books supporting upper blocks and thus total collapse eventually. House and chimney about 43 years old. Thinking banding to pull it together.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Structural Engineering
10/1/2017
Structural Engineer: StructuralEng, Consultant replied 10 months ago
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant

Hello. I can help.

Can you attach a couple pictures?

Chimney extends to the basement for wood stove. Cracks, but nothing coming apart as in the attic. Difficult to take pictures and send, as I am unfamiliar. Picture red tile running top to bottom of chimney, surrounded by outer concrete blocking. Cracks on two blocks top to bottom, left side about 8" in. Thinking applying adhesive and using banding stock to pull together somewhat.

I'm trying to determine what is structure and what is aesthetic.