Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

I am trying to size an LVL beam for a span of 17 ft. Dead…

Customer Question
Hello. I am trying...

Hello. I am trying to size an LVL beam for a span of 17 ft. Dead load includes 2nd & 3rd floor bedrooms, flat roof, ceilings. Live load couldn't get higher than 5-6 people ever fitting in either bedroom.

Tutor's Assistant: OK. Is there anything else important you think the Structural Engineer should know?

The width of the building is 20 ft and joists run perpendicular to the proposed LVL. The proposed LVL is not centered - it is 8ft from an exterior wall.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Structural Engineering
9/28/2017
Structural Engineer: StructuralEng, Consultant replied 10 months ago
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Hello
Hi
I'd rather if you could send an explanation and a formula.
I tried using a calculator I found online. (http://learnframing.com/wood-beam-calculator/) It gave me a total load of 69,000 lbs, which I feel is a safe over-estimate - it includes:
Ceiling (10 psf)
Roof (15 psf)
Floor (40 psf)
2nd floor with ceiling (50 psf)
15 psf live
70 psf snow
The span is 17 ft, and the span carried by the perpendicular joists is 20 ft.
The result from the calculator for a 3-ply Lam was [ 43 13/16"]
But I don't know what that result means. Is it the width or the height/depth of the beam? If it is the height/depth, then clearly an exposed LVL beam will not work for this scenario, or the load estimate is far too high.

Hello

No thanks. I don't want a to discuss by phone call.