Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

Building a new ranch home on a crawl space I beam size is w…

Customer Question
Building a new ranch...

Building a new ranch home on a crawl space I beam size is w 8 x 15 the longest spam is 11 ft wall to wall to carry the load. is the size okay, we are using trusses for roof.

Tutor's Assistant: OK. Is there anything else the Structural Engineer should be aware of?

No just floor load with that size I beam

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Structural Engineering
9/27/2017
Structural Engineer: walkereng, Consultant replied 10 months ago
walkereng
walkereng, Consultant

I can help.

Do you have any kind of floor plan you can share with me?

There is a button on the Chat Window that allows you to attach files.

Using 2" by 10" floor Joist and 3/4 osb. 16" on center the I beam w 8 by 15 will carry 11 feet. I need okay on size from a structural engineer to take to the building inspector.

OK, so 11' clear span, what are the 2x10 floor joist spans off of each side of the proposed steel beam?

Okay if the size I beam is okay and get in in writing for the building inspector that will be great.

I need to know what are the 2x10 floor joist spans off of each side of the proposed steel beam?

They will be carried across from I beam the I Bean the other I beam is the same size w 8 by 15 but shorter distance between the columns o floor load only

Ok, so how far apart are the steel beams going to be spaced?

I will send you Floor plans.

Thanks, ***** ***** me the information I need.

I’d like to point out that a Professional Engineer’s standard of care typically includes a site visit to assess field conditions and get an overall understanding of the structure. This can obviously not be accomplished through the internet. The information provided here is meant for planning purposes only (general sizing and budgeting) and is based on the information provided by you. All loading cases considered are for vertical loads only, no lateral analysis has been completed. The information should be verified by a professional engineer who can visit the site to ensure that potentially important information has not been overlooked or omitted.

Hold on while I run a few numbers for you.

Great, thanks.

My assumptions are:

span Length = 12'

tributary loading width = 14'

Live Load = 40 psf

Dead Load = 10 psf

W8x15 (50 ksi) steel beam

Based on the assumptions listed above, the W8x15 (50 ksi) steel beam can span the maximum required clear span of 12'

I have only assumed Live Load and Dead Load for the 1st floor, no attic or roof load has been assumed to be carried by these steel beams.

If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each adequately Rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks

Let me know if you have any more questions

It would be great if you could rate my answer.