Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

What size steel beam will span 30' and support 10,000 lbs?

Customer Question
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Structural Engineering
I am building a 24x30' addition with a carport below. I will have a beam @ 12' & another @ 24' with a L shaped wall on the other side and end.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
9/27/2017
Structural Engineer: walkereng, Consultant replied 10 months ago
walkereng
walkereng, Consultant

I can help.

Can you draw a rough sketch with some dimensions and share it with me?

I will

There is a button on the Chat Window that allows you to attach files.

Thanks for the drawing.

I have several questions:

1. So the TV/Fireplace wall dimension is 24', correct?

2. You say in your description that you have one 30' span beam at 12', does that mean 12' out and parallel to the existing house? Then another 30' beam 12' farther out?

3. What type of occupancy will be supported by theses beams, a general residential occupancy?

4. What type of roofing system and material will you be using?

5. What city and state are you located in for possible snow load consideration?

6. I assume you floor joists will span the 12' distance between the beams, and beam and house, correct?

The two 30' I beams cannot run parallel to the house. The addition is only 24' wide. Tha floor joists will run parallel to the house. It is general residential with exposed beam (like a log cabin) and 50 yr shingle. We are located in Tennessee so there isn't much snow load

Sorry for the delay.

I’d like to point out that a Professional Engineer’s standard of care typically includes a site visit to assess field conditions and get an overall understanding of the structure. This can obviously not be accomplished through the internet. The information provided here is meant for planning purposes only (general sizing and budgeting) and is based on the information provided by you. All loading cases considered are for vertical loads only, no lateral analysis has been completed. The information should be verified by a professional engineer who can visit the site to ensure that potentially important information has not been overlooked or omitted.

You can use a W12x53 (50 ksi) steel beam for your 30’ clear span beams. The beam is 10” wide and 12” deep. It weighs 53 pounds per foot of beam length.

You will need to have a local engineer detail your connections, size your support columns, determine foundation requirements, and check the lateral stability of your structure.

If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each adequately Rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks

It would be great if you could rate my answer. Thanks