Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

I am putting a room addition on my house that is 20 feet by…

Customer Question
I am putting a room...
I am putting a room addition on my house that is 20 feet by 24 feet. I would like to use a beam across the 20 feet without putting a support in the basement. First question, can I do this in wood or do I need an I beam?
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Structural Engineering
9/24/2017
Structural Engineer: StructuralEng, Consultant replied 8 months ago
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Hello. I can help.Will it be supporting a roof only or a floor, attic, and roof?
It's a one level addition with no inner walls supporting the ceiling, just the outer walls. It will be an open kitchen/family room above the basement with granite island and countertops. It is being attached to a ranch house.

Are you asking about removing the existing wall? What is the joist length on each side of the beam?

What is the city and state so I can look at snow loading?

walkereng
walkereng
walkereng, Consultant