walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
61772417

Im building a deck with a hip roof over it. My question is I

hello, Im building a deck with a hip roof over it. My question is I have limited height considering the gable Im connecting to and the height I need for the wrap around beam to support the roof load. The size of porch and porch roof is 8'0" projection off of building and 17'0" wide. The 4 front 6x6 posts have a distance of approx. 67' between them...Can I use a triple 2x6 bolted beam on top of 6x6's instead of 2-2x8's ? This will save me much needed height for my roof pitch
JA: OK. Is there anything else the Structural Engineer should be aware of?
Customer: Maryland snow load

I can help

I am headed into several meetings right now, can I get back with you later this afternoon?

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
sure thanks
Customer: replied 28 days ago.
I'll just wait for your response this afternoon..I appreciate it !!
Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Hello, are you still planning on responding today about my beam question ?

Sorry for the delay.

Can you make a rough sketch, take a picture of it with your phone and then attach that file to the Chat Window? You know what they say, a picture is worth a thousand words.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
ok

Thanks!

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
The partial plans that I sent pictures of, are the actual plans we drew and had approval on from the county....entire scope of project is the front extension of living room space, 12x 18, then the front porch at 8x18...original plan was to build the addition and porch with same 4/12 gable roof stick built..but customer decided they wanted standing seam on porch roof, so we are doing a hip for porch roof...They also changed the window usage and placement of front door, that why plans and photos do not coordinate....Also we are doing 4 - 6x6 posts on porch instead , plans show 3, and show using double 2 x 10 beams on porch..Here is what Id like to do with the porch roof....Use the 4 posts, use 2 -18 ' 2 x6's for front beam, resting on front and back of posts, notched , bolted at posts..then use same for side beams, bringing ends of beams into the house resting on proper studding..Also using
Teco hangers, on sides of posts, add a 3rd 2x6 , thru bolted all 3 with 2 layers of 1/2"plywood to fill space....Then I'd like to use 2x4 rafters, 12"oc , 2x6 ceiling joists, and use 2-pcs of 2x6 as gussets, bracing from rafter to joists, nailed ...This will help me with needed roof pitch, and height needed for beam off porch floor...Thank you for input !! I'm having trouble adding pictures...I'll send in a different email.
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
I am not sure if the pics are going thru..
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
We also completed full new siding and shingling to roof on project.
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Just checking..did you receive my additional correspondence this morning ?

I did get your two pictures, let me take a look

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
I sent 6 pictures and a written description

Several of the files that were attached were duplicates. I received the following pictures:

1. Close-up of your short support post on the corner

2. View of gable end and deck from kind of an angel

3. View of gable end and deck from kind of an angel, but a little more up close

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Did u receive the written description of the way I want to build the hip roof ?

I did not, can you try and attach that one again?

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
It is written right on our chat , I see all of your responses , can't you also see mine ?
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
I sent at 7:44, EST this morning..

The 1st things from today show up at 8:00 a.m. Pacific Time this morning

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Im framing right now !! What I wrote was several paragraphs...I'll see if I can't resend it.

The first post this morning has a long description, so I got that.

You really just need me to verify of your triple 2x6 side beams (with plywood), spanning 8' will work, correct?

What species and grade of lumber will you be using?

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
species will be fir

So I will assume SPF #2 grade lumber.

What city are you near in Maryland, so I can look at specific snow load?

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
to all you said, and project is in Colora, MD, 21917

I’d like to point out that a Professional Engineer’s standard of care typically includes a site visit to assess field conditions and get an overall understanding of the structure. This can obviously not be accomplished through the internet. The information provided here is meant for planning purposes only (general sizing and budgeting) and is based on the information provided by you. All loading cases considered are for vertical loads only, no lateral analysis has been completed. The information should be verified by a professional engineer who can visit the site to ensure that potentially important information has not been overlooked or omitted.

You will need to use a quadruple 2"x6" SPF (#2 grade) on each side.

If you are using 6x6 posts, they will be 5.5" wide and four 2x6's will be 6.0" wide, so you will need to adjust the side notches down 1/4" on each side (so 1-1/4" notches on each side the rest the outside members on). You need to make sure you attach all 4 of the 2x6's securely to each other along the span so that they all act together as one beam.

Here is the nailing schedule from the IRC, take a look at Item #30.

If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, please click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each adequately Rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Thank you very much..very helpful, can I call upon you again if I have any more questions ? I will respond to the credit the expert item..thank you , Bill Burke..my Dad and brothers are engineers also, but not structural.

You are welcome.

You can rely to this Chat in the near future, it will remain open. No additional cost.

If you need my help in the longer future, you can contact me directly at:

https://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=61772417&FID=0

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Thank you again

Good Luck with your project!