Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

I am wanting to open our stairwell to the basement by

Customer Question
removing one of the walls...
I am wanting to open our stairwell to the basement by removing one of the walls. Trying to determine if the doubled 2x9 joist will need to be supported, if so, in which way that will optimize my open space.
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Structural Engineering
In the provided image the RED line is the span of the doubled 2x9 which is 6ft. The GREEN lines span to the right and rest on a load bearing wall, and to the left and rest on the foundation wall (both left and right span for 9ft). This home is single story with an attic. The flooring above is wood sub-floor with laminate finish.
I forgot to mention the floor joists are 12" on center.
9/18/2017
Structural Engineer: walkereng, Consultant replied 11 months ago
walkereng
walkereng, Consultant

Thanks for the picture.

What wall do you want to remove?

Do you have a picture from back a ways, so I can get a feel for your configuration?

Sure!

If you want to remove the sidewall along the stairway, you would need to replace the green joists that butt into the red (double 2x10) with clear span single joists.

You will also need to double or triple up the clear span joist that you will put in right above the wall you want to remove.

Structural Engineer: walkereng, Consultant replied 10 months ago

If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each adequately Rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks