Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

I was just wondering I have poured a shed slab for someone…

Customer Question
Hello I was just wondering...
Hello I was just wondering I have poured a shed slab for someone requiring 100 mm thick slab with 200 thick egde thickenings, which required 20 MPA concrete, my slab is 100 mm thick With edge thickenings at 160mm, i used 25 MPA concrete instead, would using the 25MPA concrete counteract for my thinner edge thickening???
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Structural Engineering
9/16/2017
Structural Engineer: StructuralEng, Consultant replied 8 months ago
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Hello
Hello how did you go
Unfortunately, the higher compressive strength doesn't offset the thinner slab. Concrete doesn't take tension, the reinforcing steel does, so the depth is what matters. Increased compressive strength helps, but in a very minor way.
Where the higher strength helps is a compression element, but this is not a compression element
But having the higher mpa throughout wouldn't that strengthen it more, my slab is the right thickness just the edge been 40 mm thinner?
I can't speak to how it was designed, but what I can say is that the higher strength won't compensate for the reduced depth for bending forces.
It also has SL 62 mesh, how would I be able to resurrect this it's a 8mx3.5m slab, if I put a pad footing under each corner and in the middle would this compensate?
Shed slab is for a bolt down kit shed
There isn't a serious strength concern, but you should make the aware of the increased potential for cracking.
StructuralEng
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant