Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

Trying to determine if these walls in the master bathroom…

Customer Question
Trying to determine if these...
Trying to determine if these walls in the master bathroom are load bearing. There is a former fireplace framing with 2x6s. One board only goes half way up, one is cut and the other is wobbly when I pound on it so I'm thinking those aren't. I also have a wall that divided the bathroom shower and tub. It's framed in with 2x4s which are pretty firm to the touch but I don't think would be bearing at all given the room. They are connected to a 2x4 on the ceiling which I'd also like to remove and I think was only there for sheetrock. Do you think all these can be removed?
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Structural Engineering
20170914_111455.jpg2017091...jpg20170914_111539 (1).jpg2017091...jpgbathroom_dividing_wall.pngbathroo...pngfireplace_studs.pngfirepla...png20170914_114804.jpg2017091...jpg
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/14/2017
Structural Engineer: walkereng, Consultant replied 11 months ago
walkereng
walkereng, Consultant

So this area is upstairs in the Master Bedroom area?

Sorry for the delay.

This is hard to tell for sure. From your plan, it looks like there are 34' long manufactured roof trusses spaced at 24" o.c. that span approx. 34' above the Master Bath and Bedroom areas. If there are manufactured trusses, then most likely the framing directly below is not bearing.

You really need to get up into the attic above these walls to see if any ceiling or roof elements are actually resting/bearing above the walls.

Sorry I could not be more exact.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, please click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each adequately Rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks

Additional question. Same room, I did end up removing the wall. Now I'm preparing for tile floor and wall. 2 questions.
1. On the subfloor I've removed some sections in order to do some electrical and plumbing work between the joists. I'm now patching in the new subfloor. I've cut the old subfloor halfway down the joist, which based on a few articles I've read might have been inferior to cutting even with the joist and sistering a new support, but I think I'm already committed to my current method whether I like it or not. Anyway, I'm trying to get as secure a base as possible for the tile, I'm wondering if I should put any blocking in. My first intuition tells me no because they are 12" oc joists already but I thought maybe in around the shower drain where the joist is cut. Also should I use a subloor glue on the joists?
2. On the half wall that I'm putting in where the old wall in the original picture was re: the original question about removing it. I want that to be as secure as possible to support the tile and glass. I'm doing a 2x6 wall, it is right over the joist and I'll be able to secure it to an external wall stud. Any tips for making that extra secure? I was considering ripping 1/2" off the 2x6 studs and attaching a piece of plywood to the back. Obviously, the main concern is any tweaking on the unsecured corner. I'll have drywall on one side and cement backer with tile on the shower side.
Structural Engineer: walkereng, Consultant replied 10 months ago

1. I would always use blocking, Gluing is always important, it locks everything together better and makes the floor stronger.

2. Are you planning on doubling up this joist that will be under the new 2x6 half wall?

I could sister a section of 2x4 or 2x6 to it but the plumbing might make that challenging. Would you recommend it.

If the plumbing is in the way, then a short section will not help.

How heavy will this 2x6 half wall be?

Let me know when you come back online