Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

Structural Engineering

I am looking to build a patio cover. I will be sedition

Customer Question
steel posts in the ground...
I am looking to build a patio cover. I will be sedition steel posts in the ground with reinforced concrete. I am looking for recommendations on the steel beams to place on top of the post in the ground as well as the posts I will be mounting to the top of the exterior wall of the house. I also need a recommendation on the beams that will connect across between the beams. This can be square or rectangle tube or I beams. A rough drawing is attached.
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Structural Engineering
9/14/2017
Structural Engineer: walkereng, Consultant replied 2 months ago
walkereng
walkereng, Consultant

I can help.

I do not see a drawing.

There is a button on the Chat Window that allows you to attach files.

Let me take a look

Still waiting

Sorry for the delay, I have a few questions:

1. What city and state are you in for possible snow load consideration?

2. What type of roofing will be on top of the patio cover?

3. What is the span of the roofing elements from the house out to the set of posts offset from the house?

Portland Oregon
Corrugated steel or fiberglass
19'
Steel beams might be to heavy. I should consider aluminum as well.

I will work on your question this morning and get back with you.

Thank you
I have been anxiously awaiting your reply.

I’d like to point out that a Professional Engineer’s standard of care typically includes a site visit to assess field conditions and get an overall understanding of the structure. This can obviously not be accomplished through the internet. The information provided here is meant for planning purposes only (general sizing and budgeting) and is based on the information provided by you. All loading cases considered are for vertical loads only, no lateral analysis has been completed. The information should be verified by a professional engineer who can visit the site to ensure that potentially important information has not been overlooked or omitted.

For your 15' span side beams, you can use either of the following:

W4x13 (50 ksi) steel beam for your 15’ clear span beam. The beam is 4” wide and 4.125” deep. It weighs 13 pounds per foot of beam length.

Square steel tube T4x 4x 5/16" (50 ksi)

You could use a slightly lighter section for your 9' spans, but you really need to keep the side beams the same depth.

For your posts you can use standard 3" diameter steel posts or square steel tube T4x 4x 1/4"

If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, please click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each adequately Rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks

Let me know if you have any questions

Structural Engineer: walkereng, Consultant replied 1 month ago

If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each adequately Rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
By the time I received your answers I had to jump on another project. I will be back to this one in a few days.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What slope did you use in your calculations?

I just used a horizontal rafter span to determine the tributary load on your beam.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Structural Engineer: walkereng, Consultant replied 21 days ago

walkereng
walkereng
walkereng, Consultant