Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

I'm trying to make sure I have a beam size calculated

Customer Question
I'm trying to make...

I'm trying to make sure I have a beam size calculated correctly. It's a main roof beam that will support three symmetrically placed concentrated loads (1 at mid span and the other two point loads equally spaced on either side). All three point loads are at 3000 lbs. My calculations say a 10 x 14 hem fir wood beam will work.

Tutor's Assistant: OK. Is there anything else important you think the Structural Engineer should know?

Assumed fiber stree 875psi E= 1,100,000

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Structural Engineering
Beam span is 15 feet.
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/12/2017
Structural Engineer: StructuralEng, Consultant replied 11 months ago
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Hello. I can help. Can I get back to you in a couple hours?

I apologize for the technical difficulty. I posted a some questions a few days ago, but it looks like they didn't go through.

Do you know the ratio of LL to DL?

Do you have any deflection limits on the beam?