Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

Im trying to figure out what size glulam to span 16' and…

Customer Question
Im trying to figure...

Im trying to figure out what size glulam to span 16' and bear on posts for a porch?

Tutor's Assistant: The Expert will know what to do. Please tell me everything you can so the Expert can help you best.

Its a covered patio with lumber and roof loading only

Tutor's Assistant: Is there anything else the Expert should be aware of?

Total lenght is about 60 ft

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Structural Engineering
Additionally what size rafters to clear span 11.5" with an 18" overhang 2' on center. One end to bear on exterior wall and nail to existing roof trusses the other to bear on the post and beam assembly.
9/11/2017
Structural Engineer: walkereng, Consultant replied 11 months ago
walkereng
walkereng, Consultant

Are you replacing a porch or is this a new porch?

new porch
We will pour a slab on grade with footings to carry the load at each beam point. Hoping to do this with 4 or 5 posts.

What city and state do you live in for possible snow load consideration?

phoenix arizona

I am leaving for the airport right now, can I get back with you late tonight or tomorrow with your beam and rafter sizes?

If you can in the morning that would be great!

Will do, thanks.

I’d like to point out that a Professional Engineer’s standard of care typically includes a site visit to assess field conditions and get an overall understanding of the structure. This can obviously not be accomplished through the internet. The information provided here is meant for planning purposes only (general sizing and budgeting) and is based on the information provided by you. All loading cases considered are for vertical loads only, no lateral analysis has been completed. The information should be verified by a professional engineer who can visit the site to ensure that potentially important information has not been overlooked or omitted.

For your approximate 11.5' span roof rafters, you can use 2"x6" Douglas Fir (#2 grade) spaced at 16" o.c.

or

For your approximate 11.5' span roof rafters, you can use 2"x8" Douglas Fir (#2 grade) spaced at 24" o.c.

For your 15' clear span beams, you can use the following conventional lumber:

4"x12" Douglas Fir (#2 grade) beams

or

6"x10" Douglas Fir (#2 grade) beams

I can give you an engineered wood option for your 15’ clear span beams:

3-1/8” x 9” Boise Glulam 24F-V4/DF

This is a Boise Cascade product and you can go to the following link to find distributors in your area.

https://www.bc.com/locations/

You will need to have a local engineer detail your connections and size your support columns.

If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each adequately Rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks

Let me know if you have any more questions