Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

Structural Engineering

Shear ( of the metal ) strenth of adding a 16 (1x16") gage

Shear ( of the metal...
Shear ( of the metal ) strenth of adding a 16 (1x16") gage sheet metal sister between two . 2 x 9 planks 20 ft. long.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Answered in 1 day by:
9/12/2017
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant

Hello. I can help.

Can you describe exactly what you're trying to do.

Sorry I wasn't able to get back to you sooner .I need to know how strong ( shear strength ) of a 9 in.wide 16 gauge piece of stainless becomes if sistered between ( clamped & squeezed can't move, or torque ) two 9in. x 2in. oak planks. I'm aware of a lot of variables- just an estimate or educated guess ? How much force to shear the 1/16 ( 16 Gag.) stainless
No problem. I will take a look and get back to you asap
Thanks,I'll be waiting
I can give you the shear capacity of the plate, but that will be somewhat meaningless in a vacuum. What are you trying to do?
1st and foremost no matter how else you answer I would like that "shear capacity of the plate" . Nut shell, I have a A-frame peak truss made up of 4 King post and 5 King bolts and bottom joist made up of (3) three (nailed together ) 2 x 10 oak planks over a span of 41 Ft. ( no verticle columns) it's very old and has a sag approx 10 ft off one of the support walls .Plan to place one 9"piece (approx 8 ft along sagging area ) of 16 gauge stainless down between each outside plank and the middle plank ( encaseing it) jack up sag ,then bolt and clamp planks and stainless inserts altogether. No matter what your appraisal is of the idea don't forget "shear capacity of the plate" thank you , Joe

I will provide the shear capacity of the plate, as requested.

For a 16 gauge plate, 1" x 16", the allowable service load shear for the plate (assumine Fy=33 ksi) would be

11,800 pounds parallel to the 16" dimension and

740 pounds parallel to the 1" dimension.

StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Thanks, ***** ***** ? ( procedure ) ,And how soon, could we initiate a ph. conv. ?
I can do a call with you today. I will submit the offer for you to consider.
Please attach a phone number for me to call you at.
I've accepted the offer how do we talk ?

You can call me at ***-***-****

I apologize for the delay. Your number was xxx'd out. It's just showing up now in a different box for me. I just tried the cell number and it says your voicemail is not set up yet. Let me know a good time to call you back.

Will be at(###) ###-####5:00-6:00 est. ( best here )
then after 6:00 est.(###) ###-####
StructuralEng
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant