walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
61772417

Well I have to remove a column from tyre center of my shop

Well I have to remove a column from tyre center of my shop and want to run a steel w beam clear spanning 30 feet with w beam columns at either end for support but don't want to lose to much head room second floor is just attic space not much weight building is 60 feet long 30 wide
JA: OK. Is there anything else the Structural Engineer should be aware of?
Customer: I would like to integrate a 10t overhead crane eventually and the ceiling height is 14 feet

I can help

Do you have any pictures you can share with me?

There is a button on the Chat Window that allows you to attach files.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Here are a couple of pics of the column to be removed not apposed to boxing the overhead beam with plate or other reinforcements for added load

Sorry for the long delay, I did not realize I never got back to you.

1. So are there 2 columns in the middle area of the shop? So spaced about 20' between columns and 20' past each column to the building walls?

2. It looks like you have a longitudinal beam running the 60' direction that is supported by the two columns and the end walls of the building. The you most likely have 15' span roof elements spanning transversely between the center beam and the exterior side walls. Does that seem correct?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
that's what we are looking at

OK, so you want to remove one of the columns and replace it with a beam that will clear span 30', from side to side in your picture correct, and support the 60' longitudinal beam?

3. What type of roofing do you have?

4. What city and state are you located in for possible snow load consideration?

5. Do you have any large HVAC units or similar equipment on the roof?

6. You said above that you may want to possibly hang a crane off this beam in the future, if so, what would be the maximum weight you would lift?

Let me know when you come back online

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
The roof is a 1 on 12 pitched rubber roof. We are in Sherburne NY 13460. There are no untis on the roof Max weight on the crane would be 10,000 lbs to be mounted to the columns against the wall. There is a steel I beam running the 60' direction but the upper section of the building is a wooden structure of 2"x 6" rafters approximately 2' on center

I need to stick with sizing your new 30' clear span cross beam that will replace your one post. I will not be able in corporate a 10,000 lb crane. That is above the limits of this forum.

I’d like to point out that a Professional Engineer’s standard of care typically includes a site visit to assess field conditions and get an overall understanding of the structure. This can obviously not be accomplished through the internet. The information provided here is meant for planning purposes only (general sizing and budgeting) and is based on the information provided by you. All loading cases considered are for vertical loads only, no lateral analysis has been completed. The information should be verified by a professional engineer who can visit the site to ensure that potentially important information has not been overlooked or omitted.

Are you good with me just sizing the one cross beam?

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
the cross beam and columns on either end

OK, I will work on it this evening and get you the information you need.

I am back, thought I had finished your question, sorry for the delay.

You can use a W12x87 (50 ksi) steel beam for your 30’ clear span beam. The beam is 12.125” wide and 12.5” deep. It weighs 87 pounds per foot of beam length.

This is the shallowest section that would work.

You will need to have a local engineer detail your connections, size your support columns, and determine foundation requirements.

If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each adequately Rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks

Good Luck with your project!

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
thank you

You are welcome.