Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

Replacing a 9'6" bearing wall on the first floor of a 2

Customer Question
Replacing a 9'6" bearing...

Replacing a 9'6" bearing wall on the first floor of a 2 story cape styled house .

Tutor's Assistant: OK. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.

The house is 24' wide so the load on the beam is 12' x 9'6?

Tutor's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Structural Engineer should know?

There are no interior walls on the second floor that transfer any loads to the proposed beam

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Structural Engineering
9/6/2017
Structural Engineer: StructuralEng, Consultant replied 11 months ago
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant

Hello

So this beam will support the second floor only?

Will it support any ceramic tile?

Are you looking for LVL or dimension lumber?

Hardwood floor, dimensional, think 2-2x10 w/ 2 layers 5/8" cdx ply glued and nailed. B. I is looking for confirmation

If you want 2x10, then you'll need four of them. If you can use 2x12, you can get away with three.